Friday 17 September 2010

Jewellery Case

Since I started my unit at Lechlade, I have been intending to include jewellery in my stock.  In a large centre such as Lechlade, it is necessary to keep small or valuable items under lock and key and until recently I didn't have a suitable cabinet.


After months of searching, I finally found this display cabinet which was perfect for the job.  Originally dark brown varnish, I gave it the obligatory paint job.


I also decoupaged the frame - flowers of course, I'm not called Bloom for nothing, ha.  Luckily the case was already lined with a salmon pink moire, I added a cream lace border.


I felt it needed something more so I made these padded hearts for pinning brooches and earrings onto.  They are flat on the back so sit nicely in the case (I have secured them to the backing so that they don't  move around when items are removed).


I kept the fabrics fairly neutral, one in cream lace and the other in a muted pink/floral stripe


There is foam behind the backing fabric of the case so I can just attach items with pins, the only fixed hooks are right at the top of the case, for hanging necklaces.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  Here it is in situ (can you spot it - top left quadrant).